A friend asked me this question a few days ago and I haven’t been able to get it off my mind:
“What do you want to leave behind in 2018 that didn’t work?”
Now that I’ve had time to let this bounce around in my brain, I’m ready to share on this brand new day of a brand new year. Here we go!
What I’m leaving behind in 2018:
- The need to plan what’s next. I’m learning that what I have in mind isn’t usually the best plan and that God always seems to be one step ahead of me changing the course of the path ahead. I’m getting to a place where I’m okay with this more and more in my life and family. There is a freedom in letting go of what’s ahead.
- Things I ‘should’ do. You know that voice in your head, the one that makes you feel guilty for doing things someone made you believe you ‘should’ do? Oh, you don’t hear her? Is that just me? Well, I’m done listening to her. Who is she to tell me how I ‘should’ live my life? Time for her to go. 2019 is the year the Haiglers will figure out what is best for our family in this season and do those things – no matter what everyone else is doing or saying. You go be you and we’ll go be us.
- Boxes. We haven’t recovered from moving this summer and I’m exhausted from looking for things. My goal in 2019 is to get all of the boxes out of our home. If things need to stay boxed for our next move (within the next year) then they have to find a place in the attic or garage.
- Uncomfortable shoes. I’ve pretty much lived in flat, slip on shoes for the past couple of months and it feels ridiculously good. Goodbye shoes that hurt my feet. Does this mean I’m officially old??
- The gift card collection. Don’t judge. Brian and I have been horrible stewards of gift cards that have been given to us over the years by family and friends. We forget them at home and never use them. No more. We got our cards together and made a plan to USE THESE CARDS AND SAVE MONEY IN 2019!! YESSSS. Except for that Babies R’ Us card someone gave us in 2012. Ooops. Guess that one is a lost cause.
- Mindless scrolling. I’m stealing this from another author’s list I saw today. Yes, it has to go. There is so much I want to do in my life and mindless scrolling steals those precious moments I can’t get back.
- The need to impress and please. Too many days of my life have been wasted on trying to please people that are impossible to please and trying to impress people who really could care less. My mom was right. People really don’t care as much as I think they do. Time to let go and live in this moment right now and make an impression on these 4 people that God has blessed me with right in front of my face.
- Living without a budget. I’ve never been good with numbers and I’ve gladly handed over the responsiblity for managing our family budget to Brian over the years. I’m feeling more and more God calling me to be involved in our finances and to help steward what He’s given us well.
- Picking at my face. You’d think I’m a teenager. One little pimple drives me insane. In 2019 I vow to leave my face alone, y’all.
- Cramming too much into 24 hours. I want to do it all, see it all, be it all and live it all. It isn’t possible. I’m leaving Mrs. Be Everything behind and settling into a quieter place of rest in 2019. I’d love to be still for a season and enjoy what is already in front of me.
And on that note, I’ll say goodnight.
Here’s to a new year full of wonder and delight, friends.
How about you? What will you leave behind in 2018? Get out a sheet of paper right now and make your own list. Let’s leave those things that hinder and bog us down in the old year and start anew together! <3
Daily inspiration for starting right where you are – The Daily Starr – delivered via 1 daily text message: subscribe here.