This free devotional from the Bible App has really been hitting home for me lately.
Day 7 of the plan is titled Getting Rid of the Distractions. Here is the intro:
So, we work to get rid of the things distracting and holding us back… and in return??? That’s when God is able to reveal and fulfill our greatest passions.
But what if you don’t know what those passions are?? What if you haven’t figured out what you want to do with the rest of your life?
I’m glad you asked.
If we read on, Joshua Becker gives us 7 questions to ask ourselves about clarifying our life goals.
I’ve been there – questioning my future and what God has in store for me. Tonight, I’m not preaching this topic, I’m living it with you.
Here are my answers.
- What experiences, both good and bad, have shaped your life? Working in corporate America, being a Pastor’s daughter of a small church congregation, owning and managing our own small business, being a working mom, specific circumstances that have changed the trajectory of my life that were out of my control.
- What similarities can you recognize in your most notable achievements? I’ll answer this one from the perspective of achievements in my career. I’ve noticed a pattern in my job when I’m most happy and satisfied – it is in situations where I take something that is boring, broken or passed over by others and made it into something beautiful. Whether it is telling and crafting someone’s story or renovating a house or encouraging someone through writing – I love the process of taking something broken and making it beautiful again.
- What problems in the world are you most passionate about solving? I want to create a space where families and couples can intentionally come to refresh, reconnect and reclaim their lives. I especially have a passion for Pastor’s families and all that they go through on the not-so-easy-side of ministry. I want to create a sanctuary that breeds love, encouragement and reclamation for those that feel broken and crave healing.
- If money were not an issue, what line of work would you be most drawn to? Hospitality, writing and inspirational speaking.
- Which dreams in your life do you feel the most regret for not pursuing harder? I wish I had given up control of certain aspects of our current real estate business years ago so that I could have pursued my dreams for our property and ministry earlier. But, it’s never too late to start! So, now is better than waiting until tomorrow.
- What is the lasting legacy you want to leave? I want my children and our community to remember me as a person that always lived out loud with realness and sought to encourage those who feel like they are broken.
- Whom do you most admire in life? What characteristics of this person do you want to emulate? Woah, this is a hard question to answer here where everyone close to me is going to read this!!! Hahahah. I could say a safe answer, Jesus. But, that’s a given. We all want to be more like Him. I could say my mom or dad, but how do you pick one over the other? I admire them both tremendously and have specific qualities from each of them I want to emulate. I could say my husband, because duh, he is my Brain. Instead, I’m going to pick someone most of you don’t know. She’s the most inspirational person I follow online (I don’t really know her in real life), Ruth Chou Simmons, aka Gracelaced.
Why do I love Ruth so much?
She’s a mom to 6 boys. She picked up the paintbrush after like 20 years and started painting for the first time since college within the last couple of years – now her creative business has exploded and it’s been so amazing to watch. She’s a believer and every single time I read one of her posts on Instagram or her blog, I’m amazed at how effortlessly Jesus comes through. She encourages me in the middle of her messiest days. She helps me remember that God has something for me to do. She proves that if you are obedient and follow His calling, there is so much more in store than you can ever imagine in your wildest dreams. Above all, she constantly reminds me of the truth from the Word of God and how that changes everything about this crazy adventure called life.
So, tonight on this #thirstythursday I’m once again reminded to throw off all the distractions and run with perseverance the race God has marked out for me. For ME – not the race marked out for Ruth. Not the race marked out for Brian. Not the race marked out for Kayla, Kylie or Brock. The race marked out for ME.
Daily inspiration for starting right where you are – The Daily Starr – delivered via 1 daily text message: subscribe here.