Time to load up the Haigler Adventure Bus for the last #funfriday of summer 2016 – school starts here on Monday for our kiddos!
Brock – oh dear, do you see his hand up over his forehead – like, HERE WE GO AGAIN CRAZY PEOPLE!!
Honestly – I know once we’re back in the up-at-the-crack-of-dawn routine every day, #funfriday might just be, “Hey kids – here’s a balloon!!” LOL.
We decided to spend the afternoon together and take a short road trip up to Sky Top Orchard near Flat Rock, NC.
This apple orchard is right outside of Hendersonville, NC.
We actually ventured to Sky Top for the first time last year toward the end of September, but I was disappointed to find out that my favorite apple, Honey Crisp, is only in season during August. Bummmmerrrrr…
It. Was. HOT.
We braved the heat and went to pick fresh apples anyways – because hello, mama wants some Honey Crisp apples, y’all!
If you’re not picky about your apples, then I would definitely recommend you go later in the apple season – like October. Yes. But if you are a true apple fan, go get yourself some Honey Crisp. Totally worth the sweat and tears from your kids fussing. Totally.
Sky Top has 2 options – you can pick your own (which is actually a little more expensive) or buy the prepacked bags.
Oh yes, you can get apple cider, apple slushies, fudge apple, caramel apples, apple pies. Heaven. Just heaven.
One of the VERY BEST things about Sky Top Orchard??
I could eat an entire dozen. I’m not lying.
The lady literally took them off the rack and dipped them in cinnamon before my very eyes and put them in my bag hot. Melt. In. My. Mouth.
The girls are huge fans of the fresh apple juice.
A few pointers if you decide to go apple picking soon:
- Sky Top Orchard only accepts cash or check – no debit or credit.
- The apple cider donuts are a must. Really. Just buy a dozen. Or two.
- You can pick your own apples or buy bunches from the store. If you want to pick from the orchard, arrive before 5:30pm.
- The orchard is open everyday from 9am to 6pm, August 1 through December 1.
- If you like Honey Crisp apples (like me) then you have to come early season. They were all gone by Labor Day per the lady at the counter.
- Wear old shoes or boots – it gets dusty and a little muddy.
- There is no charge for admission – just pay for whatever you buy/pick.
- You can also enjoy a hayride, slides, playgrounds, etc.
- DO NOT take a stroller. What was I thinking? I almost flipped Brock out going through the orchard. We had to carry him.
- Sky Top Orchard is a short drive right off Interstate 26 – just outside of the Hendersonville area. Not a bad drive from Charlotte.
- Not from Charlotte? Google apple orchards in your own local area and go check them out! Eat and buy local!
In case you missed it – from the past week on the blog:
Want to have The Daily Starr delivered right to your inbox or via 1 daily text message: subscribe here.
The Daily Starr ~ Monroe, NC ~ firstname.lastname@example.org