Are you a morning person? Good for you.
Some of us struggle.
It tends to run in the family…and obviously we need to remember to use hairbrushes!
We’d rather be sleeping, for sure.
For the longest time, God has dealt with me about my hatred of mornings.
Seriously – I’m not exaggerating when I say that it is literally all our family can do to make it out of the house. There are no sit down breakfasts here – it is grab and go, all the way. And if you can’t grab fast enough, you starve.
I’ve been allergic to mornings pretty much all my life.
Living with college roommates that wanted to talk and smile and laugh before 8am…RIDICULOUSNESS!!
So, you can imagine my hesitation when God started dealing with me about spending time with Him…in the MORNING!!
“Wait, God. I’m not the best me in the morning. Wouldn’t you rather me give You time late at night? I’m much nicer then. And we can even spend more time at night and not be so rushed. Wouldn’t that be great?”
God has never let go of the slight tugging at my soul to give Him what seems to be the hardest thing for me to give. I guess that’s kind of like the word…sacrifice, huh?
And so I’ve been through seasons where I listened and actually obeyed. I’ve given God mornings before. And they’ve been some of the most special times of my life.
Have I been able to keep it up forever? No, afraid not.
That’s what brings me to today’s topic: What do you do the first 5 minutes after waking up each day?
Do you scroll through your phone/social media/emails?
Do you jump out of bed and get started on your routine?
Do you walk like a zombie to the bathroom and think about crawling back in bed for just 5 more minutes with every step you take? (THIS WOULD BE ME!!)
What would it look like to give GOD the first 5 minutes?
Proverbs 31 Ministries has come up with a way to help us all do just that. It’s brilliant, actually.
It’s called the First 5 App.
It’s completely free and you can download it now for your iPhone or Android.
My favorite things about the First 5 App:
– There is a built in alarm that has custom ringtones that you can set for each morning.
– The alarm goes off and takes you right to a short 5 minute reading based on the Bible.
– There is a place to record notes, your moments, they call them.
– There is an additional alarm and option to have your phone give you a second alert in the middle of the day with an additional reading based on the morning scripture.
– There is a beautiful image to go with each day’s reading that you can instantly save to your phone or share directly to social media (after you’re done reading, of course!!)
– They have built in “lock screen” images inside the app that you can download and save as the wallpaper for your phone. Instant inspiration on the go every time you open your phone.
Have I convinced you to go and download this app NOW? You should.
They are kicking off the introduction for the brand new app on Friday morning, July 24 at 9:30am with a live message from Lysa TerKeurst. If you can’t tune in at exactly 9:30, it will be available up until 11:59 Friday night for viewing.
The first day of daily study in the First 5 app happens on Monday, July 27 with a Study on the Book of John.
I’m thirsty to listen to what God keeps asking me to do – even though it may be one of the hardest things in the world for me.
I’m thankful for a tool to help me along the way and others that are trying to do the same exact thing – honor Jesus with our time.
Won’t you join us?
All the details are here on the First 5 Website:
Encouragement for the Day:
Want to have The Daily Starr delivered right to your inbox or via 1 daily text message: subscribe here.